Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I'll be speaking at Percona Live April 24th in Ballroom F


WHEN YOU SCALE OUT HOW TO SCALE IN BY INCREASING DENSITY USING RAIDED SSD


Sharding-splitting data for a single database server onto many database servers is a method to scale horizontally and is needed to get more disk IOPS from a mechanical hard drive server architecture. A method that works yet has pitfalls, which this session talks about. The focus is what happens when Solid State Disk Drives replaces traditional mechanical hard drives (spinning metal) in a sharded environment and answers to questions like

How much more IOPS with SSD?

What Raid Levels and Controllers work SSD drives?

How do you migrate data from shards to increase density on SSD Shards?

Why Multi MySQL, Instances per SSD server is great.

How INNODB compression really helps in an SSD environment.

This is my 5th or 6th Presentation since the conferences began. I am looking forward to spending time with old friends and people who love to talk about scale, data, technical stuff-like you! Come see me when you get a chance. Note: I will post my slides here.

Shard-In after Sharding Out with SSD

No comments: