Friday, January 18, 2008

O_DIRECT + EXT3 Update

A few days ago I wrote about O_DIRECT + EXT3 not working.

This is not a wide-spread problem, and may be isolated to 2.6.9. So, it makes sense that others who run O_DIRECT with EXT3 do not see the issue. I will use this post for future updates.

Ok here is the research that I did, and found the cause of my O_DIRECT problem





















RHEL Bug ID Description
161985O_DIRECT on RHEL v4 may not return correct number of bytes when concurrent I/O
178084Last AIO read of a file opened with O_DIRECT returns wrong length
178720O_DIRECT bug when reading last block of sparse file
191736CVE-2004-2660 O_DIRECT write sometimes leaks memory


So, I can't use O_DIRECT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello

O_DIRECT was a problem why flickr was down a few days ago ?

Chandu Singh said...

Hi

What should be minimum kernal version on Linux to make use of O_Direct.